Hi! My name is Karla Sorensen. Please join me while I travel to Maryland to study Climate Change and Fragmented Forests.

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Where in the world is Karla Sandiego?

I’m not at PYC, so where am I? I’m in Edgewater, Maryland, of course!




To get an idea of where that is, go to maps.google.com and paste in the following coordinates:

N 38° 53' 20" W 76.5525

I will be living in this, the Green Dorm for the next week and will be hiking in the forests around the area to do our research.


Answer the bolded questions in a Word document, then copy and paste them into a comment box. You will be graded on your responses, so write in complete sentences!


What is all the brownish red? What is all the green on the right side? You may have to zoom in and out to figure it out. (HINT: is it forest, water, or buildings?)

Now zoom out, little by little. What is the nearest big city to me in Edgewater, Maryland? How far (in miles or in time) am I from the capitol, Washington, D.C.?

So why did I have to fly all the way to Maryland to study a bunch of trees?!

In a new tab or window, go to the website http://www.serc.si.edu/about/background.aspx

What does SERC stand for, and what is it?

What are 3 things unique to the SERC that we don’t have or can’t do in Minneapolis?

Go to maps.google.com in this same tab or window. Type in 2210 Oliver Ave, N. Minneapolis, MN 55411 to see where PYC is.

Compare and contrast the two places, making sure you are on the same scale for each of them [ex: 3 notches from the (+)]. Stay within 6 notches from the top.

From PYC, what is our closest body of water? What is our closest forested area? If we were to study forests once I get back, where do you think we would go?


Okay, that’s all for today. I can’t wait to read your comments and responses to my many questions! [Please make sure you choose the Name/URL profile so I know who wrote it!]

Be Safe and Dream Big!

2 Comments:

At November 30, 2009 at 8:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

1.amber I am very sorry to inform you that in the 40 mins I spent searching for the answer for question # 1 I was unsuccessful.

2. I believe the closest city is Annapolis, I cant really understand the maps they’re very confusing and hard to read in terms of what reddish brown is and things of that sort. Also you cant really differentiate cities from capitols.

3. I don’t have time to finish just because of how much time spent on the first question I hope that I can do extra credit to make this up some how.

 
At November 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM , Blogger Special K said...

Amber, I am very sorry the question was confusing--I just wanted to make sure you knew if it was forests, water, or buildings. You are correct that the closest city is Annapolis, and you don't need to worry about extra credit because you got all your points for commenting.

For the rest of you (except for Raven and Jaton)--what happened?! Where are all your comments?!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home