Hi! My name is Karla Sorensen. Please join me while I travel to Maryland to study Climate Change and Fragmented Forests.

Monday, November 30, 2009

Learning all about Field Research

Today we got a tour of the whole campus--the old growth forests, the new growth forests, the education center, and the labs. We learned about safety in the field (hunting season means we all get pretty orange vests!) and about how to take measurements of trees.

We then practiced measuring the DBH of trees, or the Diameter at Breast Height. You might wonder why we are measuring the circumference and not the distance across, but it is because they have special measuring tapes that have already converted circumference into diameter.

We then entered our data into a database. You can see from this chart that volunteers before us have done a lot of work, but there is still a lot to be done!

Lastly, we toured the education center where students come on field trips. I got to hold this Blue Crab, which was not as gross as I thought it would be!



At night we had a class on Climate Change that went until 9:30 p.m.! At least I got a short mountain bike ride in before my 12 hour day!

Your task: Comment on which of the things I did today YOU would like to do the most: biking, learning about safety rules, hiking through the woods, measuring trees, holding a crab, or sitting in class.

11 Comments:

At December 1, 2009 at 8:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would go biking in the city because I'm not try'in to be in the wood's.




Robert Bonner

 
At December 1, 2009 at 9:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what i would like to do is bike or hike through the woods





or best student shaquille sargent

 
At December 1, 2009 at 10:05 AM , Anonymous demarion said...

Demarion mix
November 30, 2009
I would like hiking the most because I would like to go into the woods. I would like biking too.

 
At December 1, 2009 at 10:05 AM , Anonymous ANTONISHA COLE said...

I WOULD LIKE TO ELARN MOR ABOUT SAFETY RULES, AND I WOULD LIKE TO GO BIKING!

- ANOTONISHA COLE
- DON'T CRY KARLIE WE STILL LOVE YU, AND MISS YU

 
At December 1, 2009 at 10:06 AM , Anonymous Marvin Stewart said...

Truthfully i wouldnt do any of these events and have kids blog but it seems as if we are not blogging then we dont get credit so it sounds fun karla hope you bring back some souviners

 
At December 1, 2009 at 11:09 AM , Anonymous anthony walker said...

the thing i would like to do the most is go hiking and biking but have fun on your trip and learn great things.

 
At December 1, 2009 at 11:10 AM , Anonymous jose tlaseca said...

I would like to do biking in the woods because even though I can bike ride here but it would be different at the woods. The other thing that I would like to do is how to measure trees and how to find the diameter. I would not like to hold any crab but I'm still glad that you got to hold a crab, and NO I don't want to be in class juxt sitting down I want to be active...

 
At December 1, 2009 at 2:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to sit in the class room and be explained everything to learn about things better.


Samantha Aitkin

 
At December 2, 2009 at 10:07 AM , Anonymous Jaton Williamson said...

I would like to do the hiking through the woods. Tough it doesnt seem like it i am a nature girl. So i think that would very much so keep my interest.

 
At December 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM , Anonymous Chee Thao said...

I would have to go with biking, because biking is fun and easy. Even though I get tired very fast, but I rather bike than hold a crab that might cut off your fingers.

 
At December 3, 2009 at 8:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would like to do the biking because i would'nt want to do anything else

anthony lee

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home